Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Simple Living: Hermit style

Everything in your daily life has alternatives, but some are better than others. When I move into my travel trailer this April/May 2013 I plan on exploring different options. I won't have indoor plumbing, central air and heat, etc. I will remain on the grid via a 250ft homemade extension cord made with 10/2 Romex. I will ease myself into this lifestyle while adapting to an off grid situation over time. My mom and step-dad gave me a small plot of land for my travel trailer experiment and I plan on utilizing every aspect of it. A cheap 120v box fan will keep me cool during the summer, and I will rely on a Mr. Buddy propane heater during the winter months. Indoor lighting will be achieved with factory installed AC lamps similar to the ones in a normal home. I have installed cheap battery powered "push on, push off" LED puck lights for an off-grid alternative. My main source of entertainment is a battery operated AM/FM radio; however my stockpile of paperback novels will be very handy. My bathroom will consist of a 3 gallon portable chemical toilet, a Gatorade bottle, and a small plastic container for bathing. With a bar of soap, half gallon of water, and a wash cloth I can stay very clean. A shower is not a need, it's a wasteful luxury. A small AC refrigerator, hot plate, and single compartment sink will make up my kitchen. I plan on visiting the grocery store once a week for fresh meat, veggies, and fruit. The travel trailer has a single person bed, plenty of storage, several feet of counter space, and a ‘booth-style’ sitting area that converts into another bed. It might not be a studio apartment in New York, but for the travel trailer hermit, its paradise.


1 comment: