Friday, January 25, 2013

Shotshell Reloading: Improvised shot

Welcome! sorry i didn't post yesterday, I have been having internet problems, but they seem to be fixed. If you were looking forward to an article yesterday, I am very sorry, but sometimes shit happens. Don't be looking forward to an article Saturday or Sunday either, due to the weekend... Waiting for Monday won't kill you... :)


 Buck shot has a usage, birdshot has a usage, and Slugs have a usage, but what happens when these simple projectiles can’t be purchased? Answer: You make your own.

My grandfather once said that with a shed roof, a metal pail of hot lead, a ladle, and a bucket of water you could make your own birdshot. He said he could never get the shot perfectly round using this technique, and most droplets of lead seem to look like tiny tadpoles with tails. My improvised journey didn’t involve a homemade shot tower, but instead household and hardware store materials. Let me explain each and every experiment:

1.) Wire- My dad brought a large roll of field wire from Tractor Supply about eight months ago in order to build an electric fence for his goats. He gave me the left over wire, and with a pair of Lineman pliers I cut the wire into tiny little pieces. It was time consuming, and my hand ended up with blisters but the result was decent. These little devils would travel at high velocity, and would mangle up a soda can. I would compare it to #11 or #12 shot due to their size, and they would stick into ¾ inch plywood. Each piece of wire was around 1/16th of an inch long.

2.) Lead fishing sinkers- These little sluggers make damn good improvised shot. They are the closest to the real thing, but the cost is the true downfall. Make sure to close them shut before reloading with them.

3.) Five balls of death- this reloading technique involves using five round lead sinkers and each of them snapped to a single piece of 10lbs test fishing line. I refer to it as the “five balls of death” because it comes out of the barrel like a bolo. Getting them to fit correctly inside the wad is the only trouble.

4.) Standard BBs- This is the easiest and cheapest alternative to the real thing. I use Daisy brand BBs, and a container of around 1,000 is fairly cheap and about the same size as #1 lead shot. This is my preferred alternative.

5.) Airsoft BBs- The plastic airsoft BBs make a perfect less than lethal projectile. These BBs are a bit bigger than standard zinc coated metal BBs, and their range is limited due to their weight. Perfect for scaring off stray dogs that tear out your garbage, just make sure the BBs don’t hit them in the eyes.  

6.)  Homemade Slug- I have yet to try this method, but I saw a YouTube video once where a boy drilled a hole in a small board and poured hot melted wheel weight lead into it. The end result was a makeshift 12 gauge slug.

7.) Rocks and Pebbles- This method works well with limestone gravel about the size of a fingertip. Measure it out properly using the measuring spoon that comes with the Lee Loader, I have yet to see any ill results but the sharp edges might scratch the inside of the barrel.

If I get time I will take a few photos of some simple cardboard improvised wads I made awhile back, and do a How-To post on how to make them. With my busy schedule, don’t hold your breath. J

Until next time---- Travel Trailer Hermit---- Signing off----

P.S- The hermit will NOT be held responsible for any accidents. If you blow your fucking face off, kill the neighbor, etc. etc. it is your fault, not mine. You should have been more careful, my condolences

5 comments:

  1. In a SHTF scenario it will not matter but it is illegal to use lead shot for most game. The odds of being caught might be slim but as long as steel shot is available why chance it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your still having internet problems and have not given up on posting. Dakin's site is first in my book, but yours has become a close second, like Dr Evil and Mini Me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss your post, come back soon. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.... going on two weeks and no postings.

    Apparently the hermit blew his fucking face off while reloading shotshells (maybe killed a neighbor too, etc., etc.)?

    Another potentially promising website down the drain. Scratch this one off my bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly; nothing worse than a promising new blog just getting off the ground, and no sooner than it does, the blog owner burns out and leaves his followers hanging without an explanation?

      Oh well, at least we still have Dakin. He's consistent and puts out an entertaining, and generally informative daily article.

      Delete