Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shotshell Reloading: Basic and Simple


            I have been reloading shotgun shells for quite a while, and I have always been fascinated by “improvised” shot and projectiles. Anyone with two hands and access to needed supplies can reload shotshells, and I was lucky enough to find a cheap Lee Loader on Ebay about two years ago. These little hand loading kits are no longer produced, and almost everyone these days have switched over to the simple reloading press. Believe it or not, these little devils are still around and they are several available on Ebay as I am writing this. The specific one I got is for 16 gauge shotshells, but mine will easily reload 20 gauge shotshells as well. Below I have listed the required materials:

Empty Shotshells- Buy a box of shotgun shells at Wal-Mart or your local sporting goods store and when you shoot the whole box, just keep the empty shotshell hulls. It really is that simple.

Shotshell wads/cups- These are the little shot cups that hold the shot together and helps separate the shot from the powder, but it also creates a gas seal that is needed to propel the shot from the hull. As a beginner and with the simple Lee Loader method, a great shot pattern is not required so the specific brand of wad doesn’t matter as long as the wad is the correct gauge. For example; if you are going to reload 20 gauge shotshells, you need 20 gauge wads.  

Powder- This is what drives the wad and shot from the shotgun shell. I personally use Alliant Red Dot powder; however with a few Google searches you might prefer a different brand. Like I said before, I have been reloading off and on for around two years I have yet to go through a pound of smokeless powder.

Primers- This is what the slap pin/firing pin hits when you pull the trigger, then it ignites the gunpowder and starts the whole process. I use Winchester and CCI 209 primers, but I find the CCI primers are a bit easier to obtain in my area.

Shot- this is what hits the target, everyone should know that. On several occasions I have created improvised shot with average success, but for a noob I would prefer you buy factory made lead birdshot.

This is all you need to successful manufacture a shotshell. I will write a post about improvised shot and wads in the future, but for now I would recommend sticking with factory components. When you decide to buy your Lee Loader it should come with proper instructions on how to use it; however they are several websites on the subject if for some reason you can’t find one with adequate paperwork.




Until next time---- Travel Trailer Hermit---- Signing off----

P.S- The hermit will NOT be held responsible for any accidents. If you blow your fucking face off, kill the neighbor, etc. etc. it is your fault, not mine. You should have been more careful, my condolences.

2 comments:

  1. "These little hand loading kits are no longer produced"

    Wasn't aware of this Hermit? Are none of the Lee loaders being produced anymore, or just the shotshell kits?

    Another alternative is to buy a very cheap press. When I was a kid, I got a Mec 600 Jr for around $25.00. I still have it, and it still works great and will last a lifetime, if not longer? Don't know if they have this particular model anymore, but I do believe that Lee produces an inexpensive version of the same press?

    Also, in a resource scarce situation, it is possible to load with black powder, and fore-go the plastic shot cups. I have loaded such shells for my antique shotguns. In the old days, shot buffer consisting of powdered bone was used to keep the shot from deforming and ruining patterns. The plastic shot cup didn't make the scene until around 1960?

    wc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee not making the simple loader anymore is just hear-say... I don't know for fact.. It really would surprise me if they still make em... hope you have a good weekend WC..

    HERMIT------signing off---------

    ReplyDelete