Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hybrids, On-Star, and Carburetors


Everyone wants a new car, the soccer moms are tired of the old minivan, and they want this year's model. They want 40mpg+ hybrids with fancy satellite radio and factory installed GPS.  The 100,000+ mile warranty sounds nice, but what happens when you hit 150,000+ miles? You better trade it for a newer one, because you got to be a NASA engineer to work on a hybrid automobile. During my junior year of high school I managed to save $2,000 and I wanted a classic car. I didn't want a Nova or Mustang, instead I wanted a 60s model Ford Thunderbird or Fairlane 500. I wasn't picky, and I decided on a 1963 Ford Falcon with a factory 170cid straight six. I had spotted it on Craigslist, and dad and me went and picked it up. I paid $1,800 for it, and dad let me drive it home. The body needed a paint job and it burnt a little oil, but other than that it was a reliable old car. The 3 speed manual transmission was on the column (3 on the tree) and the little one barrel Holley carburetor would flood like an S.O.B. but that didn't stop me from driving it every day. Some people loved my old car, but others hated it. To my surprise, the majority of people who hated it were girls. Who could hate an old car? On one particular afternoon before school let out, my English teacher asked me how many miles per gallon my old Falcon got. I told him 28mpg-32mpg, and I could tell he thought I was lying. Why would I lie about something like that? My little sedan would top out at about 50mph, and if the fuel air mixture was right I could easily get 30+mpg. Major auto makers create junk that is over complicated and lack fuel efficiency for a reason. Just another way to line some pockets, waste some fuel, and charge hard working Americans in the process. About 6 months ago I started having some brake and motor problems out of my little car. The previous owner told me the car had around 265,000 miles, and I drove it nearly 50 miles a day, so I figured it had close to 300,000 miles. At that time my mind started to become set on a motorcycle. I thought about it for almost two weeks, and I decided to list my car for sale on Craigslist. A car collector from Knoxville, TN seen the ad and offered my $2,500 for it. I took the offer, and within a week I had my sights on a Kawasaki vn800 street bike. I gave $1,500 for the bike, and I am still very happy with it. I get roughly 40+ mpg, and the thrill of the open road is amazing.





Sincerely, Homestead Hermit… signing off….

5 comments:

  1. Good post Hermit!

    Those old cars kick ass when one has to perform all of their own auto repairs; so easy to work on! I miss my old cars, my Nova's, my maverick, and my Capri, all early 1970's or older. Btw, my Maverick had that same 170 cu in engine, and it was a great engine.

    I would love to get another old car again for the ease of being able to do my own repairs again, but unfortunately in the area of CA that I live, you almost never see these old cars for sale anymore?

    The typical auto repair expense where I'm at is generally in the $1000.00 range!

    wc

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty damn cool car for your first ride. Glad you got your money out of it when you were ready to move on to something different.

    My first ride got totally ragged out and wasn't much more than total junk because i was young, stupid, and didn't give a "you know what". I put it through hell and the more it tried to tell me it couldn't take it the more I tried to push it to it's limit.

    Ah Yes, to be young and stupid again! those were the days. Glad you got your head on right. Keep going where your going and you'll do well bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Ford Mavericks are good cars w.c., and you can't beat that simple 170 straight six. It is a damn shame that CA is so strict on emmisson controls, those queer tree huggers would start p.m.s. at the thought of a car that burnt a little oil, but it is okay for NASA to shoot ozone depleting space ships into the atmosphere.

    Thanks Tex! We all make mistakes, and sometimes I wish i had just kept my old car and fixed the problems. My motor's real seal was leaking, brake hubs were bad, the metal fuel line was damaged, the gear shift linage was rusty, etc. Would have costed about $400-$600 to fix.

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete
  4. A car with no AC is very frustrating, most especially if you're driving on a road full of dust and pollution. Well, it would be wise if you find a car company that can fix your car professionally. However, if you're car would consistently be doing this then it's best to buy a new one. There are tons of new cheap car makes that have good mileage and some have computer system that are voice activated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 1963 Ford Falcon with 3 speed manual transmission for $1,800? That was quite a steal! I'm a fan of classic cars and have a few in my collection. But I don't really drive them because I may end up being stuck in the middle of nowhere with my car needing to be towed. Did you experience it with your old car? I hope not, even in that time when your engine broke out. Jae Gunderson @ AustinEagleTransmission.com

    ReplyDelete