Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Minimum Food Storage


Today I want to bring up food storage and how a simple yet basic stockpile can save your life if the shit hits the fan. I have been quite lazy and stupid for not already starting with food storage, mainly because I was waiting until after I moved into my travel trailer. We all know famine or peak oil could hit at any time, so let me give you an insight on my future survival pantry. My plan will consist mostly of canned goods, flour, rice, oatmeal, beans, and maybe a grain grinder and a bucket of wheat. I wish my modest 12ft travel trailer had room for several years’ worth of food, but it just isn't possible. My food storage plan will only consist of enough food for 183 days; however I plan on expanding in the future. If I consume the bare minimum of 2,000 calories per day, my 6 month requirement would be around 366,000 calories. A stockpile of One-A-day men's daily vitamins will help supplement my diet without relying on fresh fruit and veggies. I hope to store most of my grub inside the trailer, but then again space is very limited so most dry goods will be stored under the trailer. Last month I saw 20lb bags of pinto beans at Food City for around twenty bucks. A single pound of dried beans is 1575 calories; therefore a 20lb sack of beans would consist of 31,500 calories. White rice has slightly more bang for the buck, at around 1600 calories per dry pound. I hope to fit four 20lb bags of both rice and beans under my trailer, stored in large plastic containers. This would guarantee me 254,000 calories worth of basic grub, however I don't know for sure if 80lbs of dry beans and rice will fit under there. The 122,000 calorie difference can be made up of cheap canned goods, oatmeal, flour, corn meal, etc. I am also considering a cheap van or enclosed trailer for extra storage, on the other hand I don't know if extreme weather conditions would play a role with shelf life. If I go the wheat and wheat grinder route I will more than likely store my wheat outside on a cheap homemade pallet, and pray to God the temperate peaks don't hurt it. In the long run, I feel minimum food storage of 6 months should be enough to allow for proper stock rotation. A self-sufficient approach would be a decent garden and several chickens and rabbits, and I do plan on investing into agriculture once I become familiar with my new lifestyle. Until then, I hope my worthless money is still able to buy weekly grub.

On another note, if anyone knows a better way to store food items when storage space and funds are limited, please let me know, I am new at WTSHTF food prepping.



Until next time... Travel Trailer Hermit… signing off...

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if you are familiar with Captain Dave's web site http://www.survival-center.com/index.htm but it was a ton of info on food storage (look on the left side of the page and go to Food storage FAQ's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Solarman, i will check it out... The temp changes are what worry me when doing outdoor storage...

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try doing a search on "simple root cellar construction" Hermit. There are a few simple alternatives out there such as this inexpensive booklet($4.00):

    http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-underground-Root-Cellar/dp/0882662902

    I have heard of even simpler options such as burying and old camping cooler, refrigerator, or garbage can on the north side of a house, and covering it with an insulated lid of some sort.

    As far as plastic for storage containers goes, if you have mice the way we do where I live, this may not be a feasible option? I have seen the mice chew through the plastic garbage cans to get to my mothers horse grain. Though they would probably be challenged to chew through the hard plastic of a 5 gallon bucket? What works very well for a short container that will fit under a trailer is those small metal containers (about the same size as a 5 gallon bucket) that you will often see during the holidays, that are stuffed with a variety of different popcorn flavors. Be sure to set the containers on something so that they're off the ground since they are metal.

    wc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solarman, i looked up captain Dave's site, and it really goes in-depth with food grain, dry milk, etc.. It did give me a better ideal of what elements that destroy the grain, such as moisture.. thanks..

    Someone recommended a basic "garbage can" root cellar ideal, and i might just go through with it once i get setup in my trailer. I will look up that booklet, you think they might have a PDF version of it?

    I think the 5 gallon buckets would give a mouse an outstanding challenge, but metal is always better. With the buckets i had planned on maylar bagging the wheat, and burying them in the ground to where only 6" of the top would be exposed, then i could cover them with a tarp, etc.. Jim gave me this ideal, but i don't know if the moisture would be a problem here in KY. My other ideal was to build a simple pallet, and store the buckets on the pallet.. The metal pop corn cans would fit well under my camper, but would i still be able to protect the grain from moisture and insects?? WC, i might just start hoarding up next years popcorn totes.. :)

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where i seen the garbage can root cellar ideal.. it was on Tex Dakota's site (Cheap-ass-living).... Thanks again WC, for the amazon book url..

    hermit<>

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The metal pop corn cans would fit well under my camper, but would i still be able to protect the grain from moisture and insects?? WC"

    Good question Hermit? I over looked the fact that you live in the humid, bug infested south? I would try and vacuum pack your long term storage grains, and attempt to seal the cans afterward. You can place some desiccant packs in the can to absorb any moisture that gets in there so as to keep the bags from decaying.

    The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for you to have some sort of root storage cellar, considering your locale. I'm wondering if it's possible to run a dehumidifier on solar cells if need be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might go with zip lock bags or vacuum seal bags with moisture absorbing packets among the grain, and maybe store a few under the trailer and some in a makeshift garbage cellar.. sounds like a plan... I don't really want to go the dehumidifier route, due to the cost... avoid the equipment, and maybe replace the grain every 2-3 year with "first in - first out" method...

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete