Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The .22 LR


Hello loyal readers, I just want to let you know that my main goal is to keep traveltrailerhermit.blogspot.com updated with a new post Monday through Friday. I spend my weekends resting, relaxing, and picking the brain for the upcoming weekday articles. This usually means that I won’t post during the weekend, however if something truly special comes up I will post regardless of what day of the week it is. What I am really trying to say is that I love writing for you guys, and you can expect a post every weekday and at least twenty posts a month. That is unless I get a bad case of Carpel Tunnel and I am forced to pay someone to put me down like a horse with a broken leg. J   
          Anyways, after cleaning out my sock drawer I came across an old box of Winchester Wildcat 22LR’s I had stashed because I ran out of space on my shelf. I got thinking about the world’s most popular firearm cartridge, and it sparked today’s article. It’s cheap, lightweight, and the most popular round on the market. Almost every shooter is familiar with this humble little plinking round; however most people under estimate its “stopping power”. With proper shot placement, large game can be taken quite clean with this little guy. Hell, ask any game warden and you will find out real quick what a poacher’s preferred caliber is. The modest little .22LR is perfect for teaching kids and women how to safely operate and use a firearm, as well as keeping the average shooter’s skills honed. I have owned three twenty-two caliber rifles during my life, and my favorite is the Marlin Model 60. The Marlin was my first rifle, and after 2,000+ rounds it is still going strong. Most people are quite familiar with the Ruger 10/22, however I don’t understand what the hype is all about. Don’t get me wrong, Ruger makes a damn good rifle but for the price of one 10/22 you could almost buy two Marlins.
            The only difficult part about dealing with the .22LR is finding good dependable ammunition. The cheap bulk 550 round boxes you get at Wal-Mart don’t cut the cake when it comes to reliability. Last summer I brought a 550 round box of Federal 36grain copper plated hollow points for around twenty bucks at my local Wal-Mart, and after a week’s worth of shooting nearly 1/3 of them “snapped” the first time they were fired. They caused a minor jam each time in my trustworthy Marlin 60, but after racking back the slide, the dented cartridge would fly out. Not that big of a deal when you are out plinking, but what if that meant the difference between eating or going hungry in a survival situation. You would be up shit creek without a paddle. CCI’s line of 22LR Mini-Mag ammo seems to be the most accurate and reliable cartridges on the market. These little copper plated hollow points work real smooth in my Marlin, and I have yet to have one disappoint me. For the sake of survival, always remember to store your ammo in a cool dry place. I recommend storing them in gallon Ziploc bags; however the factory packaging seems hold up well against moisture. For around two hundred bucks anyone should be able to snatch up a decent twenty-two caliber rifle and a few hundred rounds of cheap ammunition.



Keep the brass flyin’, Sincerely, the Homestead Hermit…..           

8 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with CCI. I've also shot some 30 year old Remington without any problems. Though I used a Marlin bolt action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Hermit, and you're right about the good ole tried and true little .22 cal; can't beat it. A man could survive quite well if that's all that he had. I can put the .22 CB mini's through my gallery gun, and they're virtually silent! Vlad over at Dakin's site has mentioned that the subsonics put through a barrel length of at least 24" are almost completely silent as well, though I haven't confirmed this myself, I would take his word on it.

    I also would really would like to acquire a flintlock musket at some point in the future because I feel that it will be an excellent post collapse gun. It can shoot a large projectile (They're usually in the .69 to .75 cal range) for the taking of large game, and they double as a shotgun (Smooth bores) and as a fire starter. Black powder can be made fairly easy when compared to gun cotton, and lead will be available for along time post collapse; just be sure to get a bullet mold.

    wc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a box of Remington thunder bolts awhile back, and they cycled good through my little Phoenix 22LR auto pistol. You cant beat a bolt action marlin...


    You know what WC, i have yet to try those CBs but I got a few friends who raccoon hunt and they swear by em', but the mini mags are real powerhouses. A good flint lock would come in handy post-WTSHTF, and like always, simple is better. I am going the minimalist approach for the time being, so a whole array of firearms would only cause clutter... I might just need a bigger trailer with all these preps in mind..

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bigger trailer might happen to be a good ideal hermit

    Btw. Great blog & post keep up the good work



    RoyD

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You know what WC, i have yet to try those CBs but I got a few friends who raccoon hunt and they swear by em'"

    Howdy Hermit. Just to be clear, these are not the CB or BB caps that I'm referring to, but rather the CCI .22 CB mini's. They are really just a light loaded .22 short. I could really tell the difference when I shot an ordinary short and it was much louder! Taking apart one of each soon reveled why. I believe that the CB\BB caps were manufactured by a company called Stoeger? I'm not even sure if those are made any more?

    Another one to check out are the aguila super colibri. These are in a .22 long, or possibly LR case, but only use priming, no powder, so they're not recommended for a rifle due to the possibility of not clearing the bore? But apparently some people claim to do so with out any problems?

    wc

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these letters are getting a little confusing.. the CCI ammo i have are called mini mags, and they are 22LR.. I never heard of the BB caps, but if i am not mistaken i have seen the CCI shorts, and I dropped several squirrels with trusty 22 shorts (but not the CCI brand).. so the CCI 22CB mini's are like shorts, and the CCI mini mags are like super 22LR's??

    HERMIT<>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the confusion Hermit. The mini-mags, I'm pretty sure are just a standard .22 long rifle high velocity round? The CB and BB caps I'm not sure are even made anymore, but they're very small, even smaller than a short and have no gun powder, just priming.

      Now when it comes to the .22 shorts, there are the standard .22 shorts, but CCI makes one called the ".22 short CB", not to be confused with the above mentioned CB cap. The only difference between the the standard .22 shorts, and the .22 short CB, is that there is even less powder in the .22 short CB. As a result, when fired through a rifle, they're virtually silent, making them an excellent little game getter for post Apocalypse use.

      wc

      Delete
  7. I think i understand it now.. to many damn letters.. So the 22 short CB is a super silent game fetcher. Thanks WC, i will look for a box at Wal-mart next time i go...

    hermit,.

    ReplyDelete