Thursday, January 17, 2013

Candles



Candles play a vital role in off-grid emergency lighting situations. I will depend on cheap battery operated LED lights for the most part, but a small stockpile of cheap tea lights might come in handy during TEOTWAWKI. A bag of small tea lights can be acquired at the local Wal-Mart for around five bucks, and I know for a fact that a single flame can light up a small room. You won't be able to read or shave in this type of light, but it might provide enough to allow you to complete other needs such as food preparation. On one occasion I left a small tea candle on my computer desk, and after 6 hours it still remained lit. A plus associated with candles is during colder months they supply a tiny amount heat, but in a survival situation that single BTU might save your life. I did have an ideal up my sleeve, which would involve using a piece of aluminum foil as a reflector. In theory, it might maximize the light output of the tiny candle. Sorry about today's post being short, I haven't been feeling well, must be the cold weather, and the fear of peak oil. The temperatures have dropped, and my job which consists of working the drive thru window doesn't help. I am starting to feel a little bit better, but not as fighting fit as I had hoped.

Until next time…. Travel Trailer hermit… signing off……

2 comments:

  1. Look in to the candle lanterns Hermit. I think that they're pretty cheap, and they will increase the safety factor over an exposed candle. I do believe that the lanterns have reflectors as well, increasing the effectiveness of the candle? I have seen the wall hanger candles with a reflector at the rear, and these look like they would work pretty well also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't know they made such a device, and I might just look into one... They are that increased risk factor with the open flame, but i am not to worried about it, and a candle lantern might just decrease that risk...

    hermit<>

    ReplyDelete