Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why a travel trailer?


            Why a travel trailer? This was a question I asked myself over and over again when I was first considering the “escape the rat race” lifestyle, and my reasons were based on a few different principles. One of my first considerations was a small 14x14 cabin just like the one mentioned online at simplesolarhomesteading.com. The thought of building a permanent cabin for $2,000 didn’t really tickle my fancy, so to speak. When I was turned onto the travel trailer ideal my mind depicted a large 28 foot dual axle home on wheels with black water holding tanks, 12volt backup battery supply, micro shower, and the possibility of accommodating any typical 80 year old couple. I told myself that I didn’t need all of these unnecessary luxuries, and I wasn’t sure if my v6 F-150 would tow a miniature home. I scanned through hundreds of Craigslist ads when I finally came across a 12ft White Star single axle travel trailer that was located in Oneida, Tennessee. The price was pretty cheap, the trailer was in good shape, and the location wasn’t too far away, so I had my sights set. The guy originally wanted $1,200 for it, but with luck I got the price down to $950, I hitched it my truck, and I towed it back across the state line. Most people think because it is less than 100 sq.ft. that a normal human can’t live in it, but they don’t know the power of minimalist mindset. The reasons why I picked the 12 footer:

·        It takes less energy to heat a smaller area.
·        It takes less energy to cool a smaller area.
·        The floor plan is efficient, and allows for normal daily activities.
·        Travel trailers are mobile.
·        Travel trailers come furnished.
·        The less you have, the more you appreciate what you got.
·        I sleep better in a single bed.
·        Finding a place to park is easier with a short trailer.
·        My basic ½ ton pickup can tow it. No need for larger truck.
·        Easier to clean small spaces.
·        Smaller trailers are cheaper to buy (in most cases).
·        Keeps me from buying unnecessary items due to my lack of room.
 



Not having a permanent bathroom does have its limitations, and the lack of storage space does slow down my prepping, but these are the only two cons I have yet to notice.

HERMIT<> 

2 comments:

  1. And it surely makes sense! Two thumbs up! I have to admit that I was surprise from top to bottom of all the points that are stated in here… :D
    HaylettAutoandRV.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All valid points Hermit, none of which I can fault, but personally, I would find it difficult, if not claustrophobic to live in such cramped quarters. Not to mention there would be no room to store any of my possessions.

    I'm currently in the process of trying to find a trailer or motorhome. At one time, I had a 28' travel trailer, and it was pretty much the perfect size for me, and had plenty of room, so I'm shooting for a trailer of at least that size, or an even larger motorhome that will have that same amount of living space minus the cab.

    I'm lucky, in that my folks have acreage as well, and have granted permission for me to park my RV on their land. My preference is a motorhome, because they are much easier to move. Even where I live in CA, it's possible to find a decent, older unit in the $1500.00 to $2000.00 price range.

    wc

    ReplyDelete