Friday, January 18, 2013

Hermit's Beach Vacation


As a kid, my mommy and daddy would always drag my sister and me to over expensive theme parks, and beach vacations. Don't get me wrong, I loved it as a child. It all started out with yearly visits to DollyWood, and then as money became a surplus (when mom got a promotion) we started venturing to Myrtle Beach, SC and King's Island in Cincinnati, OH. When my mom and dad got divorced about 3 years ago, and my mother remarried, these trips became more and more common. They all consisted of the same "fun" and the same "accommodations". We would all pack up in a rent-a-car, and spend 2-11 hours driving to our destination while stopping every hour or so to eat, drink, bathroom, etc. Our vacation would usually start on a Saturday and end on the upcoming Saturday, and the ride back home was always terrible. We always spent our week of paradise at a decent hotel, which I always hated. I hate hotels and motels. Tourist flock them, and the prices are always outrageous. As a result, today's post is about The Hermit's perfect yet SUPER cheap beach vacation. This is just an ideal of the perfect vacation; I plan on making this dream a reality within the next 2-3 years. Let's begin!

It would all start out with me requesting a week off from work, preferably, Monday thru Sunday, a full seven days. I would sleep in late Monday morning, get up around noon and have my packing done by 2:00pm and out the door by 3:00pm. I would pack a basic yet super cheap array of bologna and tuna sandwiches which would allow me to drive without stopping for lunch. In this perfect situation, I would have a reliable E-150 or E-250 full size Ford van with "van dwelling" accommodations. I would have two coolers, one for the above mentioned sandwiches, and the second one for ice cold Dr. Peppers and bottle waters, and my sights would be set on Myrtle Beach, SC or other local beaches. Upon arrival, I would enjoy long walks on the sea shore, chilling at the local restaurants, deep sea fishing, etc. etc. Yet, most days would be spent sitting on the beach reading a romance or western novel. The cool breeze would blow through my hair, and the smell of salt water would fill my nostrils. This would be a vacation to remember, with no one around to bother me, and after having the perfect week of relaxing solitude, I would fire up the ole' van and head back to the meek travel trailer homestead. My wallet would still be full of cash, with fuel being my only true expense. Life is Good.

Sincerely, the travel trailer hermit…

2 comments:

  1. I can’t wait for summer to come! I am planning ahead of time to make it perfect. I know it’s kinda weird but summer is really special to me since it reminds of everything about my childhood. So yeah, it’s my favorite time of the year. Thanks for the ideas and for reminding me that summer could be well-spent without spending too much money. I know this is gonna be an amazing summer. Good luck on your plans! =)


    Donna Parsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is so sweet! Now I’m sure that moms not only know best but also give us the best as well. These trips may be expensive, but she made sure of two things: that everything is prepared – from your accommodations to booking of cars you’ll be using – and that you will all get to have some fun. Now that you’re making your own trips, I’m sure it will be as great as this. And it’s good to know that you enjoyed it. > Michaele @ PayLessCar.com

    ReplyDelete