Sunday, December 23, 2012

WTSHTF: Choosing one gun


     After writing my “intro”, I didn’t plan on writing another mess of words tonight. However, I had time to write one more post before bed. This post has been really hard for me to write, but I think it will be helpful for those who are preparing for TEOTWAWKI with a limited budget. Imagine trying to raise a family on a little more than minimum wage, but fearing civil unrest every day? Personally, I have no desire to ever want children. Finding a “better half” around my age that wants to live in a travel trailer is hard enough. I will save my whole “I don’t want snotty nose kids” views for another post. Let’s get back on subject, shall we?
     So, you want to buy yourself a personal defense/survival weapon with a limited supply of cash? Depending on where in the United States you live may influence what you got to work with. However, I have broken this subject down into a very simple discussion. During the 1800s, most western families had one firearm. That one firearm was a single or double barrel shotgun. This one gun battery defended the livestock, defended the family, and supplied the food. With around 200 dollars, you can supply yourself with a 12ga shotgun and a few dozen shot shells. However, they are one extra item I would consider after choosing your 12ga “shatter gun”. This little gadget is called a “gauge reducer”, and I would recommend it to anyone who owns a 12ga, or 16ga shot gun. I paid around 55 dollars for a set of two online from Littleskeeter.com. They had some UPS trouble shipping them, but after about two months they finally arrived at my dad’s house. This dandy little item allows me to fire 20ga shot shells from my 12ga shotguns. They work perfect, and I have shot well over 200 rounds through it. The shotgun remains the best all-around firearm because it is soooo simple and cheap. A basic single shot 12ga with factory ammo will never jam, and helps inaccurate shooters by providing a pattern with birdshot loads. I personally recommend an array of birdshot, 00 or 000 buckshot, and slugs. The shotgun should have a fixed modified choke to allow for slugs. Below I have a shopping list of everything you need to follow the simple “one gun” arsenal.
 Start out with an H & R or New England Partner or Topper single shot 12 gauge shotgun with modified choke. Here in eastern Kentucky, I have seen them at the local Wal-Mart for less than $150 NEW. Check the pawn shops first, and you might luck up and find one for less than $100. Avoid 20ga, and 16ga shotguns, because the shells are less popular in most areas. My local Wal-Mart carries black nylon ammo holders that slip over the end of the stock to carry an extra five shells. I brought mine a few years ago for less than ten bucks. I would recommend buying a box of #6 bird shot, as well as a small box of 00, or 000 buckshot. I only recommend slugs for dense rural areas, where shots several dozen yards away might be possible. Remember, with a shotgun, your range is very limited. Next, I would order a minimum of one 12ga to 20ga shotshell reducer from littleskeeter.com. This will allow you to train kids and women without overly harsh recoil. This may also allow you to use scavenged 20ga rounds WTSHTF. The gun, ammo, stock bandolier, and reducer should cost you around 200 dollars.


2 comments:

  1. One gun solutions are always a serious sacrifice. I would probably say a pistol for a city dweller or anybody who regularly goes to the city. If you stay out in the boonies and can have a shotgun handy with high regularity it can work well. As a game getter, especially in the dense Eastern woods a 12 gauge has a lot going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A handgun does have a tactical advantage in close quarters (such as an apartment complex), however a simple shotgun can be brought extremely cheap in most situations. A decent handgun can cost upwards of $500-$600, and this might not appeal to someone on a budget.

    ReplyDelete