Monday, December 24, 2012

Homestead Hermit’s Guide to good health, and well being


            This guide is for anyone who is out of shape, and wants to prepare their body for what the future might hold without doing a lot of exercise. It is a tool that I use to regulate my body, and it can work with my “laid back” lifestyle. I am killing myself one spoon full at a time, and I didn’t even realize it until a few months ago. This guide in the long run will regulate us physically, mentally, and overall. It might not give us a six pack or big muscles, but it will make us better people. It will make us feel better, make us live longer (god willing), and save us money on the food bill and health bill. 
            I started this new way of living on the 25th of October, 2012. My system consists of four components. Each component affects me mentally and physically. The four components are referred to as “the big four” The components are:
·        Foods we eat/amount of food we eat
·        The amount of cigars/cigarettes we smoke
·        The amount caffeine we consume
·        the amount of cardio exercise we get

The “big 4” will affect us in a lot of different ways. The main con of each one is the effects on our health long term. Each one has its pros, and its cons. At the bottom of this guide, I will supply you with a basic plan to help control the intake of these components.

·        (foods we eat/amount of food we eat) This component mostly targets calories, sodium, fiber, and fat we consume. In order for us to lose weight we must lower our calorie intake, and increase our fiber intake. Sodium is the reason most of us have high blood pressure, and it will hurt our health long term if we don’t get control of it. Fat content is also something we need to get control of. According to various online resources I only need around 3,000-3,500 calories to stay at my current weight and that is with no exercise. I am roughly 6’ 4” and almost 325 pounds. This means I must eat below 3,000 calories, however eating an extremely low amount of calories will cause my body to get farther out of shape by going into “fat saving mode”. I should draw the line at around 2.5k per day, with little exercise. This is the most important component in the “big 4”.


·        Smoking is bad for us. We all know this, and for those of you that don’t smoke, good job! You can skip this subject. However, a good puff of smoke from a cig really calms my nerves, and helps me through the day. I have been smoking cigars for almost 2 years, and I prefer “Black and Mild’s”, “Swisher Sweets”, and other tasty gas station delight cigars under a dollar each. However, lately I have been smoking cigarettes. I went from smoking one decent cigar every other day to smoking around three to five cigarettes each day. That comes out to around four packs a month (I don’t smoke on weekends) and it costs me around $19 a month vs. $15-$17 a month for cigars. My preferred brand is “Winston”, however they are nothing quite as satisfying as a “Marlboro red”. For those of you that smoke over a pack a day, you should lower your consumption (if possible) to around half a pack a day or less.

·        The amount of caffeine we consume is a big problem. My kidneys don’t need the abuse from this mean daily drug. If you are used to consuming caffeine heavily, it doesn’t have the same “awake” effect on you. I need to get my caffeine consumption under control as well. I need a set reason for drinking it, and I should only drink it for that reason.

·        Exercise!!! We all need it, and I need more of it. I work fast food, and on a typical day, I walk around the restaurant nearly fifty times. I carry boxes, lift stuff, bend over, and even run from place to place. I need to maximize the amount of exercise I get, and try and fit a set exercise period into my day. I don’t get enough on the weekends, and this affects me. I need to do some wall push-ups, walk more, or lift some weights. This is the hardest for me to build a habit of, and it’s something I need consistently. This step is very important.


The “big 4” is really going to pay off during a civil unrest period, or WTSHTF. Being a fat glob of obesity, I would not survive a two mile hike carrying a gallon of water and a battle rifle. I need to be ready!  We all need to be ready!

This should prepare us for the world. If it makes it easier, wait until after Christmas before starting this universal diet. Eat better, live happier. J    

No comments:

Post a Comment